Variety reports that Marvel is still working with Jonathan Majors, and he will be featured prominently in Season 2 of Loki. While Majors’ future with Marvel seemed uncertain earlier this year due to his ongoing legal issues, Loki executive producer Kevin Wright has broken the silence on the matter and stated that there were never any intentions for Marvel to change anything about the upcoming second season, which completed filming in 2022.
Loki EP Kevin Wright says there was never any intention to make changes to Season 2 because of the controversy surrounding Jonathan Majors’ assault allegations.
When asked about Marvel’s involvement with Jonathan Majors and if any changes would be made to Loki in post-production, Wright said “this is the first Marvel series to never have any additional photography. The story that is on screen is the story we set out to make.”
Wright elaborated on Marvel’s decision to keep Jonathan Majors in the series by saying, “I know as much as you do at the moment. It felt hasty to do anything without knowing how all of this plays out.”
In other words, Marvel Studios is standing behind its decision to keep Jonathan Majors on screen despite his March assault arrest.
Though Marvel hasn’t had a fallout with Jonathan Majors, the man behind He Who Remains, Victor Timely, and Kang the Conqueror has experienced career fallout because of his assault allegations.
Not only was Majors dropped by his talent agency and his PR firm, but he also agreed with the luxury brand Valentino that he would not attend the Met Gala back in May. Additionally, Major’s ad campaign for the U.S. Army was pulled shortly after his arrest, and they won’t be aired until the ongoing investigation is complete.
“I know as much as you do at the moment. It felt hasty to do anything without knowing how all of this plays out.”–Loki EP Kevin Wright on any future decisions regarding Jonathan Majors
As Marvel gears up to release season 2 of Loki on Disney+ on October 5, 2023, Jonathan Majors’ next key hearing is set for October 25. Despite the complex nature of his case, as well as conflicting evidence from both parties involved, it’s evident that Marvel and Kevin Wright stand behind their work and intend to push forward with Loki without changing the narrative or dialing down Jonathan Major’s contribution to the series.
Though we’re not sure what Majors’ ongoing case and subsequent verdict will mean for his career with Marvel in the long run, Loki will see its six-episode run from October 5 to November 9.
Season 2 of Loki will pick up right where Season 1 left off and center on the god of mischief’s various misadventures in the Time Variance Authority. But the Marvel series will push itself into new territory while leaning into the quirks and idiosyncrasies that made Season 1 so special in the first place, and that includes Jonathan Majors’ multi-faceted role as He Who Remains, as well as industrialist and inventor Victor Timely.
“[T]his is the first Marvel series to never have any additional photography. The story that is on screen is the story we set out to make.”–Loki EP Kevin Wright
As of this writing, Marvel has not made any statements about Jonathan Majors’ involvement in Avengers: The Kang Dynasty, which is slated for a 2026 release. There have been rumors circulating that Marvel has canceled the upcoming Jonathan Majors starring movie, but sources indicate that no formal announcement has been made.
Considering that Majors’ case is still ongoing and that Season 2 of Loki was filmed before the assault allegations surfaced, there’s no way to know how everything will shake out after all is said and done.