If you’re like me, your desire to read exciting new science fiction almost certainly outstrips your actual free time to do so. Hell, I’m still catching up on books I bought a decade ago, much less anything that came out in the last year. Still, if you want to sample some recent sci-fi goodness, you could do a lot worse than checking out some of the stories nominated for Nebula Awards this year. Now the folks at Tor have decided to make your life easier by offering their three nominated novelettes as free downloads for a limited time.
Of the seven nominees in the novelette category, three were published on Tor’s website: “The Finite Canvas” by Brit Mandelo, “Swift, Brutal Retaliation” by Meghan McCarron, and “Portrait of Lisane da Patagnia” by Rachel Swirsky. They’re now available for free on multiple different platforms, although there’s no word on how long the free offer will last. If you miss out on the deadline, you can still read them for free on Tor.com. Here are the links.
- “The Finite Canvas” by Brit Mandelo (iTunes, Kindle, Nook)
- “Swift, Brutal Retaliation” by Meghan McCarron (iTunes, Kindle, Nook)
- “Portrait of Lisane da Patagnia” by Rachel Swirsky (iTunes, Kindle, Nook)
If you want to catch up on all the Nebula-nominated novelettes, that will just leave you lacking four of them. But how much do we here at GFR love you, the reader? So much that we tracked down two more of them for you. Links below, but you’ll have to get the other two on your own. We’re bushed.
- “The Pyre of New Day” by Catherine Asaro (The Mammoth Books of SF Wars)
- “Fade to White” by Catherynne M. Valente (Clarkesworld)
- “Close Encounters” by Andy Duncan (The Pottawatomie Giant & Other Stories)
- “The Waves” by Ken Liu (Asimov’s)