Welcome back to GFR’s Weekend Round-Up, where we shovel up a week’s worth of stories we didn’t get around to, load them into the patented GFR t-shirt plasma cannon, and launch a ball of superheated awesome right straight at your eyeholes. Here we go!
- What do you get if you turn Star Wars Australian? Boomerang lightsabers, of course. Check out the trailer for the 30-minute fan film Star Wars Downunder.
- Craving something that will merge your love of Star Wars with your love of old-school tabletop RPG awesomeness? Check out Edge of Empire via this in-depth preview from the folks at io9.
- Darth Vader riding a unicycle playing a flaming set of bagpipes? Darth Vader riding a unicycle playing a flaming set of bagpipes.
- Wil Wheaton’s life comes full circle when a fan at a convention presents him with one of his original Wesley Crusher sweaters. Brings a tear to the eye, it does.
- Guillermo del Toro’s Pacific Rim was chock full of giant monsters, but those giant monsters also had all manner of little monsters crawling around on them. Here’s a video all about the making of said freaky parasite critters.
- Scientists could use artificial intelligence to help predict deadly flu outbreaks.
- Here’s the sun being awesome, spitting out a truly epic coronal mass ejection. The shot has been colorized to “indicate the intensity of the matter being ejected by the Sun. White represents the greatest intensity, red/orange somewhat less, and blue the least.” Wowzers.
- The terrible secrets Pixar kept from us: I give you Scientifically Accurate Finding Nemo.
- A musical supercut tribute to “percussive maintenance” — the art of fixing broken things by hitting them.
- Remember Tank Girl? Apparently Avril Lavigne does, because she’s got a whole Tank Girl thing going on in her latest video. She also makes out with Winnie Cooper, if that’s the sort of thing you’re into.
- Do you think the world needs an official Lego Knight Rider set? Vote your support here!