For the first time since it was announced Ray Fisher would not be returning as Cyborg for The Flash, Fisher has taken to Twitter to respond to his removal. This comes after months of accusations from Fisher against several people at DC, including director Joss Whedon, who was brought in to finish the film after Zack Snyder left the project, and President of DC Films, Walter Hamada.
In a statement put out by WarnerMedia, the studio says that Ray Fisher was asked if he would reprise the role of Cyborg for The Flash. According to Fisher’s Twitter, Fisher said he could not in clear conscience work on any productions that included the involvement of Walter Hamada. Because of this, WarnerMedia has decided to move forward with the project without the character of Cyborg. Ray Fisher says in his statement that Cyborg was a much bigger part of the film than just a cameo, and that he is disappointed that he won’t be able to bring Victor Stone back to the screen.
Ray Fisher made claims this summer that Joss Whedon was “gross, abusive, unprofessional, and completely unacceptable” when working on the reshoots for Justice League. Fisher was supported by his castmate Jason Momoa, who said that “serious stuff went down” on the set. Back in December, WarnerMedia said that their investigation into Justice League had concluded and that remedial action had been taken. Although the statement doesn’t say what the action was, it seems as though Whedon’s exit on the HBO series The Nevers might have been a part of this action.
In his note on Twitter, Ray Fisher said that “while Walter’s behavior was not a point of focus for the investigation of the Justice League reshoots, his dangerous and enabling actions during the investigation process must be called to account.” Fisher says that Walter Hamada interfered and tried to undermine the investigation in order to “protect his friend, and former co-president, Geoff Johns.” Despite these allegations from Ray Fisher, Geoff Johns will continue to produce several of DC’s upcoming projects, including Stargirl, Batwoman, and Superman & Lois.
Ray Fisher also says that while he’s disappointed with not being able to continue playing Cyborg, he says that “bringing awareness to the actions of Walter Hamada will prove to be a much more important contribution to our world.” At the very least, it looks as though Fisher was able to make the decision for himself, rather than WarnerMedia forcing him out for calling out the negative behavior on the Justice League set. While Fisher has said that others have contacted him with their support, it doesn’t seem like anyone else from Justice League or from other DC projects are willing to step down as well.
But considering Ray Fisher states that Cyborg was a large part of The Flash, rather than a cameo like what was rumored, it’s unclear how this will change the project. The Flash is currently in pre-production, but considering DC knew about the allegations against Hamada and others for months, it would seem extremely unlikely for the studio to not have a backup plan to deal with their Cyborg leaving.
As of right now, it seems as though The Flash is still likely to hit its November 4, 2022 release, even without Ray Fisher. The film already is planning to include appearances by Michael Keaton and Ben Affleck, both as Batman, and with other rampant rumors about what this multiverse exploration could mean in terms of other appearances from DC’s past. It’s a shame that Ray Fisher had to step down from The Flash, but if it brings more attention to problems within the company, it’ll hopefully be worth it. Regardless, Fisher will likely last be seen in Zack Snyder’s cut of Justice League, scheduled for release in 2021 on HBO Max.