With the first teaser trailer for Transformers: Age of Extinction due to hit during Super Bowl XLVIII in February, anticipation for the first movie in a brand new trilogy is beginning to catch on. Though the film doesn’t open until June, we’re learning more and more about it everyday. New story and character details reveal how Age of Extinction fits in with the previous three Transformers movies.
New cast and filmmaker interviews on Chinese Transformers website M1905.com shed light on Age of Extinction, specifically how China plays into with the story. Considering that China has become a super force when it comes to international box office earnings, it’s no wonder Michael Bay and company are catering to that audience. The movie even features a Mandarin-speaking Transformer.
Here are all the tidbits the site shares:
- There is a robot who speaks Mandarin all the time. He’s Cybertronian in origin.
- Cade Yeager (Mark Wahlberg) is very protective of Tessa Yeager (Nicola Peltz) because of the loss of his wife.
- Shane (Jack Reynor) is an Irish racecar driver and is Tessa’s boyfriend despite the “No Dating” rule by Cade.
- Shane saves both Cade and Tessa’s lives very early in the movie and gains the trust of the Yeagers.
- Cade Yeager and Optimus Prime become best friends. They both live with their own code of ethics.
- Cade must make a choice between his life and his daughter’s where Optimus must make a choice between doing the right thing what must be done and the safety of his own life.
- Li Bingbing’s character is an owner of a very special “Factory” in China.
- Third act of the movie takes place entirely in Hong Kong.
- A conference is attacked and the officials call for help from a special group of individuals.
The rumor is that factory Li Bingbing’s character runs manufactures Transformers. Whether this factory is making real Transformers or toys has yet to be seen. The biggest point that sticks out for me is the last bit about calling for help from “a special group of individuals.” The group in question could be the Dinobots. Much like the animated series and the comic book, the Dinobots were Transformers from Earth and not Cybertron. It’s going to be interesting to see how Bay handles this plot point in the new movie.
Recently, a new image of a mysterious sword surfaced on the Internet. While the details are vague, many believe that it could be the Star Saber. In Transformers mythology, the Star Saber is a powerful weapon that was shattered into five pieces. It gives whoever reassembles it ridiculous power over the multiverse. If that’s the case, then you can easily see how multiple movies could revolve around this point, much like Marvel and the X-Men. The Star Saber could be the new Allspark of the new trilogy.
The new film follows Cade, an inventor, Tessa, and Shane, as they “discover a buried Transformer which sets the stage for the return of the rest of the Transformers.” It stars Wahlberg, Reynor, and Peltz, as well as Stanley Tucci, Sophia Myles, T.J. Miller, Victoria Summer, Li Bingbing, Titus Welliver, Kelsey Grammer, and Peter Cullen.
Transformers: Age of Extinction hits theaters everywhere on June 27, 2014, in 3D and IMAX.