While I wasn’t interested in it for most of its run, I’ve become a late-to-the-game fan of Star Wars: The Clone Wars thanks to the fact that my kids love it. It’s part of my long game to get them hooked on Star Wars so I can show them the original trilogy right before the new one begins in 2015. But I’m willing to bet there are plenty of grown-up Clone Wars fans who want more than just the episodes. If you’ve got a craving to dive into the world and making of The Clone Wars, you’ll want to set course for the WBShop, where you can currently grab the Blu-ray collector’s set of seasons 1 – 5 for less than $90. That’s $20 below the initial 27% markdown WBShop already had on the set.
It’s worth pointing out that this isn’t a collection of the entire series; it’s missing the sixth and final season. The show was canceled after season five, and it looked like fans might never see those final sixth-season episodes, but thankfully Netflix rode to the rescue and season six is streaming exclusively on Netflix Instant. Still, there’s plenty to keep you occupied with the Clone Wars Blu-ray and DVD box sets, which are going for $88 and $66, respectively. You’ll need to enter the promo code RETAILME20HE to get the full discount on the Clone Wars sets.
The box set includes lots of bonus behind-the-scenes featurettes, commentaries, and other goodies, including an illustrated art book. Here’s the full blurb from WBShop:
Executive Producer George Lucas and Lucasfilm Animation Present Seasons One through Five of Star Wars: The Clone Wars From the heights of peril to the depths of darkness, all the explosive excitement of the Star Wars saga is yours in this Complete Collection of Seasons One through Five. The Republic’s most beloved heroes — Yoda, Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Ahsoka Tano — and courageous clone warriors battle the galaxy’s enemies, including vengeful Sith brothers Savage Opress and Darth Maul, Count Dooku, and the notorious Death Watch. Each exciting Season includes the heart-pounding stories of larger-than-life characters presented in spellbinding animation, plus special features to take you further into the captivating Star Wars universe.
COLLECTOR’S EDITION CONTAINS:
- All 108 Episodes of the Hit Series on 14 Discs, for OVER 40 HOURS OF CLONE WARS ACTION!\
- Special Features Include Behind-the-Scenes Featurettes, Director and Crew Interviews & Video Commentaries
- PLUS EXCLUSIVE 54-PAGE Illustrated Book The Art of Star Wars: The Clone Wars
- Languages & Subtitles: English, Français (Season 1, 3, 5 are Dubbed in Quebec) & Español. (Episodes, Bonus Material, Trailer May Not Be Subtitled).
If you prefer your animation a bit more mature, Amazon has the Akira: 25th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray/DVD combo pack on sale for $17.99, half off its normal list price.
Neo-Tokyo is about to E X P L O D E!
Akira isn’t just a movie — it’s the genesis of a genre. Katsuhiro Otomo’s landmark cyberpunk classic obliterated the boundaries of Japanese animation and forced the world to look into the future. Akira’s arrival shattered traditional thinking, creating space for movies like the The Matrix to be dreamed into brutal reality. Without Kaneda and Tetsuo, without espers and psionic assassins, without that badass motorcycle — our world would be a far less exciting place to exist. But the manga became the movie and the movie became a phenomenon and the world took notice. Now, Akira is everywhere. If you can’t see it in the streets — if you can’t feel it crawling around inside your brain — then you have yet to be initiated. What. Are. You. Waiting. For?
- Listen How You Want: The 25th Anniversary release of Akira features both English dubs that have occurred since 1988, letting you choose the track that’s best for you.
- An Audiophile’s Dream: Includes the ‘Hypersonic’ 24-Bit, 192kHz Dolby TrueHD remaster of the original Japanese audio track.
- Exploding with Extras: Packed with over 120 minutes of on-disc extra features; including the ‘Restoring Akira’ documentary and original storyboards for the anime.
- Interview with the Japanese Director
- Akira Sound Clip
- Storyboard Collection
- The Writing on the Wall
- Original Japanese Trailers
- Original Japanese Commercials
- Restoring Akira
- U.S. Trailer (2013)