It’s rare these days to see Hollywood releasing any really memorable science fiction movies, so when one hits it’s always a pleasant surprise. The last few months have been awesome because we’ve had not one, but three excellent SF flicks hot on each other’s heels: Dredd, Looper, and Cloud Atlas. They were each great SF experiences in very different ways, but Looper is hands down my favorite of the three. It wasn’t as ambitious as Cloud Atlas or as action-packed as Dredd, but as a whole it was one of the best movies I’ve sat through this year. So, needless to say, I’ll be picking up the Blu-ray when it arrives on December 31st, assuming those damn Mayans haven’t killed us all by then.
I’m very glad to see that Sony isn’t half-assing it on the bonus features either, because Looper is definitely the sort of flick that makes you want to immerse yourself in the ideas and the making of it. I’m particularly glad to see it will include a commentary with writer/director Rian Johnson, as well as actors Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Emily Blunt. Johnson is one of the best and most intriguing young directors out there, and I’d love to pick his brain over a couple of beers. But since that probably isn’t going to happen, I’ll settle for listening to him pick his own brain.
If you didn’t give Looper a chance in theaters, definitely check it out on Blu-ray/DVD. It’s one of the best flicks of the year, and it’s full of ideas and half-crazy, but in a good way. Check out the bonus features rundown and the cover art below, and you can pre-order Looper right here.
- BD Exclusive: The Science of Time Travel
- BD Exclusive: 17 Additional Deleted Scenes with Rian Johnson Commentary
- Commentry with Actors Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Emily Blunt and Director Rian Johnson
- Deleted Scenes with Rian Johnson Commentary
- Looper Animated Trailer
- Scoring Looper Time Machine
- Scoring Looper A Day in the Life
- Scoring Looper Revelations
- Abe Gathers the Troops test
- Evil Demon Golf Ball From Hell (EASTER EGG)