We’re only two weeks away from the worldwide premiere of Doctor Who’s 50th anniversary special episode, The Day of the Doctor, and now the first official trailer is here! Sure, we got a very cool teaser a while back, but it didn’t actually contain any footage from Day of the Doctor. This one, however, is positively jam-packed with intriguing hints and glimpses.
Let’s run through a few observations, shall we?
- It opens with a shot of a damaged (battle-damaged?) TARDIS on an unidentified desert world. It seems to be the same sandy surroundings where we see Hurt’s Doctor at the 0:13 mark, just before he tells Ten (David Tennant) and Eleven (Matt Smith) that he’s “looking for the Doctor.” (Which sets up the great line from Tennant: “Well, you certainly came to the right place.”)
- To paraphrase Babylon 5’s Marcus Cole, “That’s a bloody awful lot of Daleks.” We see epic battles unfolding both in space and on the surface of what we presume to be Gallifrey. The Dalek fleet is imposing to say the least, and at the 0:04 mark we see what looks like the Citadel of the Time Lords. But it ain’t looking so good. Who knows, maybe Moffat’s setting us up for some major misdirection, but this has got to be the Time War we’re seeing, right?
- 0:20 – Lookie, a Zygon! The ugly alien critters were first seen in the season 13 serial “Terror of the Zygons,” an adventure that involved the Loch Ness Monster. It’s probably a longshot to hope Nessie will pop up in The Day of the Doctor. The modern incarnation of the show has reimagined many classic Who baddies, from the Cybermen to the Ice Warriors, so it should be interesting to see how the Zygons will fare here in the 21st century.
- At the 0:23 mark we finally get to see Billie Piper as the returning Rose Tyler, but given the glowy eyes, this is apparently Bad Wolf Rose, the nigh-omnipotent version she became after peeping into the heart of the TARDIS. You remember her, right? She’s the one who scattered the words “Bad Wolf” throughout time and space as a warning to the Doctor. From the looks of things, she may have had a few other things on her to-do list that we didn’t know about…
- At the 0:27 mark we see Hurt’s Doctor standing before an ominous device of some sort. I have a feeling this gizmo will be at the heart of the story. Perhaps something Hurt’s Doctor uses to terrible effect in the Time War? Is activating it the thing he did “without choice, in the name of peace and sanity?” We’ll find out on the 23rd!
All in all, there’s a lot going on in this trailer, all of it exciting. Plus they ride a horse out of the TARDIS, you’ve got to love that. And while everything in the video is pretty dire, I am still really looking forward to seeing the interplay between Tennant and Smith, perhaps more than anything else.
If you’re still craving more, we’ve got good news for you: the BBC is set to release yet another trailer for Day of the Doctor tomorrow. Geronimo!