Cowboys & Aliens is a much better movie than it got credit for from critics. As a result, more than a few of you missed it in theaters. This December you’ll get a chance to rectify that error in judgement, when Cowboys & Aliens arrives on Blu-ray.
Universal Studios Home Entertainment has just informed us that they’ll drop the film on Blu-ray and DVD (but really, a movie this special effects laden should only be viewed on Blu-ray) December 6th. Even though the movie was kind of a flop at the box office, they’re giving it a proper Blu-ray treatment by releasing a disc loaded with extra features.
Here’s what you’ll find on your Cowboys & Aliens Blu-ray, should you buy it:
· IGNITING THE SKY: THE MAKING OF COWBOYS & ALIENS —A comprehensive, behind-the-scenes look at the production that invites viewers on set to meet the filmmakers and cast as they create this one-of-a-kind action film. In revealing conversations, Jon Favreau, Steven Spielberg, Ron Howard and Brian Grazer, as well as stars Harrison Ford, Daniel Craig and Olivia Wilde, share their insights about the movie. Also featured are visual-effects powerhouses Legacy Effects and ILM, which join forces once again to push the technological envelope beyond anything ever seen before on screen. It includes:
o FINDING THE STORY — Cowboys & Aliens, based on the graphic novel by Scott Mitchell Rosenberg, has been in development for over a decade. Filmmakers, writers and cast explain why this particular team of Hollywood heavyweights hit the right note to bring this to the big screen.
o THE SCOPE OF THE SPECTACLE —A look at the team behind the camera for the film’s massive New Mexico shoot, as the stars ride horses, shoot guns, jump from explosions, and get yanked 80 feet in the air! Director Jon Favreau stages unforgettable action set-pieces as cameras capture every moment, while legendary stuntman and Cowboys & Aliens’ second unit director Terry Leonard brings a lifetime of experience to the big-screen stunts, from legendary moments in John Wayne classics to doubling for Harrison Ford in Raiders of the Lost Ark.
o OUTER-SPACE ICON — Take a closer look at the creation of a new, terrifying alien design from Legacy Effects and Industrial Light and Magic.
And exclusive to Blu-ray™ these additional segments:
o A CALL TO ACTION — A profile of prolific actor, writer and director Jon Favreau featuring on-set video diaries shot throughout the production.
o ABSOLUTION — A look at the practical re-creation of a dusty Old West mining town, the town’s inhabitants and the amazing ensemble of actors who portray them, as well as an exclusive look at the film’s meticulous production and costume designs.
· CONVERSATIONS WITH JON FAVREAU – Jon Favreau hosts candid interviews with cast and crew, including:
o Daniel Craig
o Harrison Ford
o Olivia Wilde
o Steven Spielberg, Ron Howard and Brian Grazer
o Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci
o Damon Lindelof
· FEATURE COMMENTARY WITH DIRECTOR JON FAVREAU
ADDITIONAL FEATURES EXCLUSIVE TO BLU-RAY:
· U-CONTROL: Universal’s exclusive feature that lets the viewer access bonus materials without leaving the movie!
· BD-LIVE™: Access the BD-Live™ Center through your Internet-connected player to access the latest trailers, exclusive content, and more!
· pocket BLU™ App: The popular free pocket BLU™ app for smartphones is now even better with newly updated versions for iPad®, Android™ tablets, PC, and Macintosh computers, with features made especially to take advantage of the devices’ larger screens and high resolution displays.
o Advanced Remote Control: A sleek, elegant new way to operate your Blu-ray™ player. Users can navigate through menus, playback and BD-Live™ functions with ease.
o Video Timeline: Users can easily bring up the video timeline, allowing them to instantly access any point in the film.
o Mobile-To-Go: Users can unlock a selection of bonus content with their Blu-ray™ discs to save to their device or to stream from anywhere there is a Wi-Fi network, enabling them to enjoy content on the go, anytime, anywhere.
o Browse Titles: Users will have access to a complete list of pocket BLU™-enabled titles available and coming to Blu-ray™. They can view free previews and see what additional content is available to unlock on their device.
o Keyboard: Entering data is fast and easy with your device’s intuitive keyboard.
o And with UNIVERSAL’S SECOND SCREEN, viewers can enjoy an innovative and interactive viewing experience, that allows them to control, interact and explore Cowboys & Aliens with groundbreaking new features right on a networked tablet or computer, in synchronization with the movie on the television screen! While the movie plays, experience features such as:
§ Flick View: Interact with the movie, move content from the Tablet to the TV screen, and compare storyboards, animatics, and other executing content by “Flicking” them from on their tablet to their TV screen, simply by gesturing their fingers upwards on their tablets.
§ Scene Explorer: Viewers select various progressions of the same scene including storyboards, pre-visualizations and behind-the-scenes.
§ Behind the Scenes: Viewers get an all access look at the making of the film featuring interviews with cast and crew.
§ Storyboards: Viewers will be able to take a closer look at the storyboards created for some of the amazing sequences in the film.
§ 3D Models: Viewers can take a look at the aliens and otherworldly gadgets in Cowboys & Aliens by the touch or swipe of their fingers. You can move the models in a 360 degree view, get tech specs and more.
And here’s the Cowboys & Aliens Blu-ray cover art:
It’s nice to see Universal standing behind their movie when a lot of other studios might have just dumped it in a bare bones edition and forgotten about it. Clearly they’re hoping it’ll get some of the love it deserved to get in theaters on Blu-ray instead. Cowboys & Aliens is far from the best movie of the year, but it’s a lot of fun, and the perfect movie to watch for the first time at home on a high-def television set or to stuff in some sci-fi obsessed kid’s stocking this Christmas. Give it a chance.