Spider-Man: No Way Home might be one of the most anticipated films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, with rumors spreading about the film long before the film even started shooting. With filming underway, and the stars of the film sharing photos from the set and revealing the title of the film, this new Spider-Man: No Way Home is already building excitement nine months before its release. Now, a new rumor suggests that Sony and Marvel are getting worried about the production.
This rumor comes from Daniel Richtman’s Patreon page, where he says that Sony and Marvel are getting worried that Spider-Man: No Way Home is getting too expensive. Richtman doesn’t state where he’s hearing this from, or what gives him this indication, but Richtman has previously also featured rumors on his page about Sony’s apparent concerns about money. It seems as though this might just be an assumption by Richtman, rather than a piece of gossip with real tangible evidence.
Spider-Man: No Way Home started filming in Atlanta a few weeks ago, almost immediately after star Tom Holland wrapped work on another Sony project, Uncharted. Considering Holland is becoming the studio’s go-to star, and considering that this is also a co-production with Marvel Studios, it seems unlikely that Sony would be too worried about splitting the bill for a film with their big star, which is sure to make a ton of money.
While it’s not clear just how much both Sony and Marvel pay for each new Spider-Man film, it doesn’t seem like a big enough amount to cause significant worry. For example, 2017’s Spider-Man: Homecoming had a budget of $175 million, and made $880 million worldwide. 2019’s Spider-Man: Far From Home reportedly cost less to make, with a budget of $160 million, and made significantly more, making $1.13 billion worldwide. Even if Spider-Man: No Way Home costs upwards of $200 million, there’s no doubt that this film will make back the money. If anything, this is one of the surest investments Sony could make, so why would they worry?
Spider-Man: No Way Home is shaping up to be an exciting project though, as Kevin Feige has said the film is the middle part of an unofficial trilogy that started with WandaVision and ends with Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. In addition to that, Spider-Man: No Way Home will also include various villains from previous iterations of the characters. Already, it has been confirmed that Alfred Molina will be reprising his Spider-Man 2 characters of Doc Ock, while Jamie Foxx will be returning to the character of Electro for the first time since The Amazing Spider-Man 2. This has also led to plenty of rumors that we could see the return of Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield, although those rumors have been denied by Tom Holland and others.
Yes, Spider-Man: No Way Home does look to be a huge production that seems to be Peter Parker’s biggest adventure yet. But this combination of the past and the present has had fans excited about this project for years, and it’s certainly going to be well worth the money that is being put in, considering how much Sony and Marvel will likely get from the box office. Then again, Sony might be worried about theaters not opening up and this third film making as much as previous iterations, but considering the other films did huge numbers in foreign markets, that also shouldn’t be a worry.
But Sony and Marvel certainly won’t have to worry about Spider-Man: No Way Home being a success, as it seems like it will be a massive hit when it comes to theaters on December 17, 2021.