Rick Moranis has given fans an update on his condition after a seemingly random and brutal attack from an unknown assailant on October 1, 2020.
In a statement given to Deadline, Rick Moranis said that he is “fine but grateful for everyone’s thoughts and well wishes.”
The incident occurred on Thursday, right before 7:30 a.m. on Central Park West near 70st Street. The NYPD’s report on the attack stated that Rick Moranis had pain in the head, back and right hip. The unknown assailant ran north and after releasing a video of the attack and a photo of the attacker, the NYPD announced they are offering a $2,500 reward for more information on the man who attacked Moranis.
The news of Moranis’ attack on Thursday caused a stream of support on social media for the actor. Chris Evans posted on Twitter: “My blood is boiling. Find this man. You don’t touch Rick Moranis.” James Woods also posted: “Finally! The one thing every American can agree on. The man who beat #RickMoranis for absolutely no reason should be boiled in oil alive.”
Rick Moranis has been slowly returning to the world of entertainment over the last few years after an extended hiatus from acting. Moranis’ wife, Ann Belsky, died in 1991, and soon after, Moranis began focusing more on raising his children as a single father. This transition led to Moranis’ almost complete withdrawal from the entertainment industry.
In an interview with USA Today, Rick Moranis explained, “I pulled out of making movies in about ’96 or ’97. I’m a single parent, and I just found that it was too difficult to manage raising my kids and doing the traveling involved in making movies. So I took a little bit of a break. And the little bit of a break turned into a longer break, and then I found that I really didn’t miss it.”
Rick Moranis went on to say that even though he’s been offered parts throughout the years, he’s always turned them down. For example in 2015, The Hollywood Reporter reported Moranis had turned down a cameo in Paul Feig’s 2016 Ghostbusters reboot, of which Moranis said, “I hope it’s terrific. But it just makes no sense to me. Why would I do just one day of shooting on something I did 30 years ago?”
Before this year, Rick Moranis’ last major appearances in film and television came in 1997, when he reprised his role of Wayne Szalinski in the direct-to-video Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves, and played himself in an episode of Muppets Tonight. Since then, most of Moranis’ work has been with his comedy partner, Dave Thomas, most notably as a voice in Disney’s 2003 animated film Brother Bear and its direct-to-video sequel, and the two returned to their characters of Bob and Doug McKenzie in 2007’s Bob & Doug McKenzie’s Two-Four Anniversary and in 2009’s Bob & Doug. Despite his avoidance of the spotlight, Rick Moranis has released two comedy albums since his hiatus, 2005’s Grammy-nominated The Agoraphobic Cowboy and 2013’s My Mother’s Brisket & Other Love Songs.
But Rick Moranis has started to make more public appearances in recent years. In September, he made an appearance in a commercial for Mint Mobile with Ryan Reynolds. Upon hearing of the attack, Reynolds said on Twitter, “Should have known not to subject Rick to the year 2020. Glad to hear he’s okay.”
In 2018, Moranis voiced Lord Dark Helmet in an episode of The Goldbergs, and earlier this year, Moranis appeared on an episode of the Disney+ series, Prop Culture. Moranis will also appear in the Martin Scorsese-directed Netflix special, An Afternoon with SCTV, scheduled to be released this year, and Moranis has also signed on to reprise the role of Szalinski in Shrunk, a sequel to Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, which will also star Josh Gad.
Here’s hoping for a full recovery for Moranis. It’s been too long since we’ve had him bringing us joy on screen.