With Captain America retired while Iron Man and Black Widow are dead there was no way to know for certain after Avengers: Endgame if we’d ever even have another Avengers movie. Sure Marvel is going to go right on making superhero movies, but whether there’d ever be another team-up for an actual Avengers 5 was anyone’s guess.
The guessing ended though, when Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige started teasing that Avengers 5 is coming.
“Yeah, I mean, the MCU is all interconnected, but we really focus on one movie at a time. We’re going to make the best Black Widow movie we can possibly make, the best Eternals movie we can make, the best Shang-Chi, Doctor Strange, Thor, Captain Marvel, Black Panther, right? And keep evolving their stories. And then, yes, it’s always fun to see them come together in a master plan. Which is, I promise you, well under way.”– -Marvel’s Kevin Feige on Avengers 5
The Eternals Team-Up
It seems the next adventure for the Avengers may end up revolving around The Eternals, which are getting their own movie soon. Feige explains…
“The Eternals know about the existence of the Avengers, the Avengers don’t know much about the Eternals. Yet.”– -Marvel’s Kevin Feige on Avengers 5
Captain Marvel In Avengers 5
By the time Avengers 5 rolls around, pretty much all of the original Avengers will have retired and that’ll leave characters like Spider-Man, Black Panther and Captain Marvel as the longest standing members of the team. So you can assume that Captain Marvel is going to figure pretty prominently into whatever happens in Avengers 5.
To get Captain Marvel in Avengers 5, though, Marvel had to agree to give up a few things. Brie Larson had demands, and word is those demands have now been met.
Among those demands was the notion that Brie Larson’s character had to be the new leader of The Avengers so she can get top billing. She’d take that role over more established and financially successful characters like Spider-Man and Black Panther. But she wanted it and apparently word is that she has gotten it.
In addition, according to WGTC Brie Larson, demanded she be paid the same amount as her male co-stars. That includes the ones playing bigger name characters, like Spider-Man and again more financially successful characters like Black Panther. Those demands have now been met as well, according to various sources.
So saddle up for The Avengers 5 starring Captain Marvel and also Spider-Man, Black Panther, and Scarlet Witch if there’s enough time and money left for them.
Hulk For Avengers 5?
Iron Man and Captain America got very final ending. Thor is still making solo movies. Black Widow is getting a solo movie and then she’s done. Falcon, Winter Soldier, Wanda, The Vision, and Hawkeye are getting a TV shows. The only one of the original Avengers not really accounted for is the Hulk. So will he be in Avengers 5? What’s next for him? Apparently nothing.
Mark Ruffalo, who plays Bruce Banner and the Hulk, appeared on the Graham Norton Show and talked about what’s next for the character. He started out by saying, “I don’t know.” But then he went further and admitted that given what he’s been told, “…it is supposed to be over and that [Endgame] was supposed to be the end.”
That seems spectacularly unfair to the Hulk, whose character arc never really got fleshed out and who never really got a solo movie, at least not one with Ruffalo’s version of the character. There’s a chance we might still see him show up in Avengers 5, but that seems more and more unlikely.
Who Won’t Be In Avengers 5
- Captain America, at least the Steve Rogers version of him, is retired. Don’t expect Steve Rogers back.
- Tony Stark is dead and staying that way. You won’t see Iron Man.
- Black Widow is dead. Sure she’s getting that solo movie, but it’s a prequel. She won’t be in Avengers 5.
- Hulk… all indications are from Mark Ruffalo that Marvel is done with his character. So we probably won’t see him, though there’s a tiny chance.
- Pretty much anyone else is at least possible, though some are more possible than others.
Who Is Likely To Be In
- Captain Marvel is sure to be in the movie, in one form or another, no matter how much Brie Larson costs.
- Black Panther is an absolute lock.
- Spider-Man will likely be there and may even end up leading the team, barring some contract mishap with Sony.
- Doctor Strange seems likely to show up, though that may depend on what happens in Doctor Strange 2.
- Scarlett Witch seems likely to be there, though that could change depending on what happens in her Disney Plus limited series WandaVision.
- The Vision probably won’t be there. Yes he’s in WandaVision but we’re pretty sure he’s dead. Still, he’s not completely out of the picture.
- Ant-Man and The Wasp might show up, though they’ve never been some of the more popular members of the team so Marvel might leave them out if the roster gets too full.
- The Eternals are definitely in Avengers 5.
- The Guardians of the Galaxy, or at least some of them, could show up. Though they might also just be off on their own adventures somewhere and not get involved.
- Falcon and the Winter Soldier are getting their own TV show, but they still might appear. That becomes even more likely if, as has been rumored, Falcon ends up becoming the new Captain America.
- Shang-Chi is a new character getting his own movie and he’ll probably be in Avengers 5.
- War Machine is still around and could show up as an Iron Man replacement.
- Thor’s time in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is winding down and rumor has it he’ll be replaced by Jane Foster as Thor in the upcoming Thor: Love and Thunder. Still he could show up and Jane Foster’s Thor almost definitely will show up.
Avengers 5 Release Date
Marvel hasn’t set a release date for Avengers 5 yet. They have a lot to get done before then. We don’t even know when they’ll start filming it, right now. But Marvel has two movies coming in 2022 in Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 3 and then Black Panther 2. Avengers 5 can’t happen til after those are released. Since Black Panther 2 releases in May of 2022, it seems possible we could get Avengers 5 released in that same summer.