Alec Baldwin Deletes His Twitter After Rust Shooting Interview

By Jason Collins | 15 seconds ago

alec baldwin twitter

Actor Alec Baldwin and his wife Hilaria Baldwin have both deleted their Twitter accounts only days after the actor gave an emotional interview regarding the accidental shooting on the Rust movie set that killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins. His other Twitter account, @AlecBaldwin__, remains “active” on the social media platform, though it states that it’s a social media “phantom limb” the actor very rarely uses. Currently, all tweets in that account are protected and not visible to users. As reported by Entertainment Weekly, Alec’s now-deleted A-list Twitter account, @AlecBaldwin, was previously used for official statements regarding the October 21 incident. The account for his foundation, @ABFalecbaldwin, and the Twitter account of his wife, @HilariaBaldwin, were also both gone as of Monday. Their Instagram accounts remain active and regularly updated.

The Twitter accounts being deleted happened just a few days after Alec Baldwin appeared on an ABC interview with George Stephanopolous, which addressed the Rust tragedy for the first time on-air in a studio. Baldwin broke into tears several times during the course of the interview as he answered the questions about why he pointed the gun at Hutchins, though he denied pulling the trigger. “I let go of the hammer of the gun, and the gun goes off,” the actor said in the ABC interview.

For those in need of more context, the 63-year-old actor was reportedly holding the gun that discharged and killed Hutchins, a 42-year old cinematographer on set, and injured the film’s director, Joel Souza. About one month later, Alec Baldwin and other Rust producers were named in a lawsuit filed by Mamie Mitchell, the film’s script supervisor, claiming that he was standing in the line of fire when the weapon went off.

Elsewhere in the interview, Alec Baldwin disclosed that he’s been struggling physically. He’s exhausted over the incident, of which he dreams of, and being kept awake at night by the images of guns. However, the legendary Boss Baby actor said he doesn’t feel guilty, only shocked, angry, and sad. “No. Someone else is responsible for what happened, and I can’t say who that is, but I know it’s not me,” Baldwin said in his interview with Stephanopolous.

alec baldwin rust shooting

Detectives are still investigating the deadly shooting involving Alec Baldwin on the set of Rust, trying to find those responsible for providing the film production with live rounds instead of blanks and dummy rounds. Unfortunately, the ammunition for Rust came from various sources, so pinpointing those responsible might be harder than it seems. The film’s prop master, Sarah Zachry, inspected the box of ammo on a props cart and discovered that some of the cartridges “did not rattle.”

Dummy rounds often have a ball bearing instead of powder inside, which gives it a distinctive rattle when shaken. People use this sound as a clear indicator that helps them distinguish dummy rounds from live ammo. However, the film’s prop master is reporting that several ammo cartridges didn’t rattle when shaken, which indicates that there was other live ammunition on the set — reportedly provided by multiple sources.

Alec Baldwin, for one, said that he had no idea how a live bullet made its way onto the set and into the gun. He gave Stephenopolous a detailed rundown of the event’s timeline, stating that it’s “highly unlikely” he’ll be criminally charged over what took place. The investigation is still under way.