Jonathan Majors's attorney says it was racism that got the star arrested by the NYPD.
Jonathan Majors, the actor who played Kang the Conqueror in the Marvel TV series Loki and the recent film Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania, found himself facing misdemeanor assault charges for allegedly hitting his then-girlfriend. Majors denies the charges, and his lawyer claims to have proof that the allegations are “a complete lie.” Now, Insider reports that Majors’ lawyer says the actor’s arrest was the result of racism on the part of NYPD officers.
According to lawyer Priya Chaudhry, bodycam footage from NYPD officers shows them “coaching” Jonathan Majors’ girlfriend to accuse him of assault after she repeatedly said she didn’t know how she was injured. The attorney also claims to have footage from hours after the alleged assault that shows Majors’ girlfriend uninjured.
Insider reports that they have received footage from Chaudhry that appears to support some of these claims. Additional footage reportedly corroborates some of the testimony from Jonathan Majors’ driver, who claims Majors never raised a hand against his girlfriend.
Jonathan Majors reportedly told responding officers that his girlfriend attacked him, injuring him and ripping his coat. Chaudhry claims that the reason officers did not believe Majors but did believe his girlfriend comes down to racism.
Jonathan Majors’ girlfriend was not named in the court filing, but Chaudhry has identified her as British dancer Grace Jabbari. Jabbari has not made any public statements concerning Majors’ arrest.
Jonathan Majors and his attorney had previously hoped that the evidence would result in the misdemeanor charges being dropped, but that has so far not been the case. His attorney states that Majors is willing to go to trial to prove his innocence. His trial is set to take place on August 3.
The allegations against Jonathan Majors have resulted in no shortage of troubles for the actor, whose career currently hangs by a thread. Majors’ talent manager has dropped him in the wake of the allegations, and rumors are circulating that Majors has been recast in an upcoming Dennis Rodman Biopic titled 48 Hours in Vegas. He’s also been dropped by his PR firm and lost his role in an ad campaign for the U.S. Army.
It’s unclear what, if any, actions Disney will take regarding Majors’ role as Kang the Conqueror. The 33-year-old actor is slated to portray the dimension-hopping supervillain during the current phase of Marvel films, all leading up to the action-packed crossover film Avengers: The Kang Dynasty. The result of Majors’ trial could determine whether Disney will continue to use Majors in upcoming films.
Other than the upcoming Marvel films and Majors’ rumored involvement in the Dennis Rodman film, Majors is only set to appear in one more project: the upcoming Spike Lee film Da Understudy. No other cast members for the film have been announced.
Jonathan Majors is not the only Marvel star to face accusations in recent months. Earlier this month, musician and activist Elena Ríos accused Tenoch Huerta, the actor who played Namor in Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, of sexual assault. However, no charges have been filed against Huerta so far.