Star Wars: The Force Awakens Vs. Avengers 2: Which Are Moviegoers Anticipating More?
There’s no doubt that 2015 is going to be an epic year for movies. You’ve got Marvel continuing its unprecedented winning streak with a second Avengers movie (not to mention the troubled but still intriguing Ant-Man). You’ve got a new Jurassic Park movie starring the walking slice of awesome known as Chris Pratt. You’ve got the final installment of the ridiculously successful Hunger Games saga. Oh, and there’s that under-the-radar flick known as Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Which will reign supreme in 2015? We’ll have to wait and see, but thanks to a new poll, we do have some insight into which films moviegoers are most excited about.
Fandango has released the results of its annual survey of the most anticipated films of the upcoming year. And while the Internet will be arguing who would win in a fight between the Avengers and Darth Vader until the inevitable heat death of the universe, we at least know who came out on top in this particular instance: Star Wars: The Force Awakens is the most anticipated movie of 2015, at least according to the Fandango poll.
It’s worth addressing how that data was accumulated, of course. Fandango polled 1,000 readers on its site between December 22 and 29, and Star Wars: The Force Awakens came out on top. Hot on its heels is Avengers: Age of Ultron, which should surprise nobody. In any other year, Avengers 2 no doubt would have taken the cake, but this is not only the first Star Wars movie in a decade, it’s also the start of a whole new chapter for George Lucas’ legendary franchise after the Disney buyout. Good or bad, there’s no question it will be one of the biggest movies of 2015, if not of all time. (And it looks to be a damn good year for Disney, since they now own both the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the Star Wars franchise.)
Of course, there could be surprises. Last year Mockingjay — Part 1 topped the Fandango survey, but Guardians of the Galaxy came out of nowhere to do a celebratory dance all over the competition. People a year ago were also really excited about The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Divergent and, well, you know how those turned out.
Here are a few more data points from Fandango’s survey:
Fan Favorite Actress in 2015 Movies
- Jennifer Lawrence (The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2)
- Scarlett Johansson (Avengers: Age of Ultron)
- Angelina Jolie (By the Sea)
- Melissa McCarthy (Spy)
- Halle Berry (Kidnap)
Fan Favorite Actor in 2015 Movies
- Robert Downey Jr. (Avengers: Age of Ultron)
- Chris Hemsworth (Avengers: Age of Ultron, Blackhat, and In the Heart of the Sea)
- Daniel Craig (Spectre)
- Chris Pratt (Jurassic World)
- Tom Cruise (Mission: Impossible 5)
Biggest Male Breakout Movie Star, 2015
- Jamie Dornan (Fifty Shades of Grey)
- John Boyega (Star Wars: The Force Awakens)
- Levi Miller (Pan)
- Neel Sethi (The Jungle Book)
- Tony Jaa (Furious 7)
Biggest Female Breakout Movie Star, 2015
- Daisy Ridley (Star Wars: The Force Awakens)
- Lily James (Cinderella, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies)
- Dakota Johnson (Fifty Shades of Grey, A Bigger Splash)
- Kate Mara (The Fantastic Four, The Martian)
- Sofia Boutella (Kingsman: The Secret Service)
Most Anticipated Family Film of 2015
- Pixar’s Inside Out