With a resume that includes stellar titles like Transmetropolitan, Planetary, and Global Frequency, writer Warren Ellis excels at creating two of our favorite things: comics and science fiction. He’s got a knack for blending bleeding-edge scientific concepts with unforgettable characters and a pitch-black sense of humor that guarantees I’m interested in pretty much everything he does. Now he’s shared a preview of his upcoming Image series, Injection, in his Orbital Operations newsletter. The series sees Ellis reteaming with artists Declan Shalvey and Jordie Bellaire, his partners from Marvel’s 2014 Moon Knight series. Injection is slated for an unspecified 2015 release, but in the meantime you can check out the intriguing synopsis and preview art below.
There was a big to-do made about the broken leg Harrison Ford suffered on the set of Star Wars: The Force Awakens last year, and the brief production delay it caused. But now another member of the cast, also a returning fan favorite, has had a health scare. Peter Mayhew, who plays Han Solo’s enormous, hairy BFF Chewbacca, has been hospitalized with pneumonia. Fortunately, he’s doing well, and doctors expect him to make a full recovery.
Rumors about Mayhew’s ill health began circulating on the Internet, and Mayhew’s wife, Angie, took to Reddit to issue a statement confirming the news. The prognosis is positive, and she wrote, “Doctors are incredibly happy with his improvements.”
Ever since Fox Television Group head Gary Newman said that they’ve been kicking around ideas for more X-Files at the Television Critics Association winter press tour recently, there’s been a ton of chatter about a possible revamp. One question is how original stars Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny feel about returning to their most recognizable roles, and as it turns out, at least one of them feels pretty damn good about the prospect.
On Tuesday, USA Today caught up with Duchovny and asked him about the potential for an X-Files revival. He said he would be both “happy” and “excited” to bring the paranoid sci-fi classic back to the airwaves. In addition, he also offered a glimpse of what it could look like in terms of size and scope. If this does materialize, it likely won’t be as a regular continuing series.
J.J. Abrams and company are in the process of finishing up Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and while we’ll hear occasional tidbits about who is involved, like how three actors from Gareth Evans’ The Raid movies play some part, things are generally closed on that front. But with a slew of other movies in the works, there’s bound to be a ton of casting rumors on that front. And now we’ve got a new report going around about three actresses in contention for a role in Gareth Edwards’ (Godzilla) upcoming standalone Star Wars film.
According to Heat Vision, Tatiana Maslany, Rooney Mara, and Felicity Jones are all testing for an as yet unspecified role in the first of the offshoot films. There’s not much more know than that, as details are being protected by Jedi mind trick. These readings reportedly started in the U.K. before moving stateside. Regardless of the part, or which of these actresses land it, or if it even winds up being one of them, these are three of the hottest young actresses currently working right now.
Billionaire PayPal founder Elon Musk is an ambitious sort. You don’t generally get “billionaire” in front of your name without a fair amount of drive. He has his own electric car company, Tesla; he’s working to develop a Hyperloop system between Los Angeles and San Francisco, announcing a test track in Texas; and his SpaceX is a key player in the race to privatize space travel. In fact, in Seattle recently, he even said, “One day I will visit Mars.”
The man thinks big, and in that spirit, at the same private event in the Pacific Northwest, Musk, in town to launch SpaceX Seattle, laid out an ambitious plan to use 4000 satellites to create a network that will deliver high-speed Internet anywhere across the globe. This is actually something he initially talked about at back in November.
A while back, George Lucas talked about how, before he sold Lucasfilm to Disney for $4 billion dollars, he had ideas for a shiny new Star Wars trilogy of his very own. He didn’t say what those were, precisely, just that he had them. These ideas were also apparently part of the deal when the House of Mouse took over—when you pony up that much cash, you get everything—and the real question is: how much inspiration did they take from Lucas’ plans? The short answer is none, though there is, of course, a little more to the story than that.
Though had an idea for a new trilogy, Lucas almost got the ball rolling on Episode VII before the sale. He said that he was considering getting the film ready to release in May of 2015 and then sell Lucasfilm—a full trilogy is something like a 10 year commitment—but the Disney offer came down the way, and how do you say no to $4 billion? In a recent interview with our lovely older sibling Cinema Blend, hyping his new animated feature Strange Magic, the subject came up. And while he didn’t reveal any specifics—that’s not really his style—Lucas did note that Star Wars: The Force Awakens is nothing like what he wrote.